Please read before submitting:
- Please use a standard, readable font such as Times New Roman, size 12.
- Prose works should be double-spaced with 1” margins. Poetry may be single-spaced.
- Double-sided pages are okay, but it can be confusing.
- Please number each page for easy referencing during the critique.
- You may submit up to 10 pages (double-spaced) of prose or 5 pages (single-spaced) of poetry for critique. Smaller selections may receive more detailed responses. For poetry especially, consider that poems often take more time to read thoroughly than prose.
- Our average attendance is 8-12 members, so bring twelve copies of your submission. Save any extras for when you are critiqued so anyone who wasn’t present can read along.
- Proofread your work before submitting. Do your best to catch as many spelling, grammar, and technical errors as you can. We should not be reading rough drafts.
- Remember to include your name on the first page.
Suggestions for better responses:
- If the genre is not obvious, indicate that on the first page (science fiction, mystery, memoir, etc.).
- If the piece is not a stand-alone (i.e., a chapter from a novel or a lengthy short story), please indicate this, as well.
- Ongoing projects:
Be prepared to briefly remind us a) the point of the whole project and b) a
summary of where the characters are now (“our story thus far. . .”)
Also see the following pages: