Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Excited About the Meeting

I'm excited about this week's meeting. It's been 11 months since I last attended a GFWG Third Thursday, following a brief foray back home to Pennsylvania. Not that I'm back in New York, I can once again cash in on my lifetime membership and attended the meetings.

This one should be somewhat unique. While open to writers of any genre and at any level, the group often fails to make good on that promise. This month, however, is a big exception. We have a brand new murder-mystery submission from Kay to critique, and a completed novel from Zack that we're 3/4 of the way through. There's two submissions from Sandy -- a one-act play and an essay, and Michelle submitted two poems. It's taxing to cover such a wide array of material. It's probably one some groups specialize -- SCBWI, Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers, etc. -- but it's also what makes the GFWG unique. I'm not sure for this group I'd want it any other way.

Wonder what the night's submissions for next month will be. Sorry to say, I will not be keeping up my end of the bargain as I have to get other works completed following last weekend's conference. Oh, well. Hopefully I'll submit in December.

In the meantime, if you're an area writer able to join us, come to Crandall Library tomorrow night at 7pm. We'd love to see you.

No comments: