Friday, June 11, 2010

Preparing for a Writers Conference

As I gear up for the SCBWI Conference in Poughkeepsie tomorrow, I thought I'd reflect on the steps I take before any conference. Most seem logical and straightforward, a few perhaps unusual.
  1. Read the Conference material. Seems obvious, but too often I see people making hasty notes in the morning, not knowing which seminar to attend, not knowing which editor, agent, or author to meet. Place your schedule on a single sheet of paper and keep it readily accessible.
  2. Research the presenters, particularly editors and agents. Know what type of work they represent. Know their tastes within a given genre. Know their authors. Try to read at least one book from a client. Not always possible, but try. Also take these notes to the conference so you can refresh your memory before meeting them.
  3. Visit their business websites, but also see if you can find interviews with them. Do they have a blog? Discover something about them beyond the working world. One of the writers at this weekend's conference was a TV critic for TV Guide, while I was a TV critic for TVData. We will talk television, likely my introduction when I approach her. One agent has a delightful Twitter feed that I find very funny. I will tell her that. Fortunately, I mean it. Always mean it. Insincerity can sink you. If you know something about them, you can target your approach. I've used hometowns, sports interests, mutual friends, college majors and other topics to start conversations. Also include this in your take-along notes.
  4. Find a picture, if possible. Sure it might be out of date or out of focus, and there will be general introductions at the conference, but it will help you know who to approach without reading a nametag resting on her chest.
  5. If you have specific questions regarding a seminar topic or for that agent in a one-on-one, write them down ahead of time. That way you won't forget.
  6. Bring extra copies of your work. Rare that you get the opportunity to show one let alone several, but it does happen. I separate them according to editor or agent, using a yellow scrawled-upon Post-It to find it quickly. If there's time, I bring the correct stack to the top of my attache before meeting said agent.

Good first impressions are important, memorable ones difficult to make. These agents and editors see too many aspirants at too many conferences to remember everyone, but bad impressions last all the way back to the office. Yes, you want your work to stand on its own, as if a sight-unseen submission, but it can be difficult to separate author from manuscript.

Hope these help anyone attending a conference in the future. It's research. Be diligent. Preparation is a sign of professionalism. Agents and editors think so, too.

No comments: