Wednesday, January 26, 2011


SCBWI 2009 Conference
by Rita Crayon Huang

As the saying goes, writers write. And they should write down everything, including a writers conference checklist. I’m two days out from leaving for the SCBWI Winter Conference and here’s what I’ve done so far…


  1. Written a one-line pitch for every book. This is a pitch. Keep it short and hook ‘em right away. I’ve seen editors and agents drift away (not to mention potential readers and buyers!) as authors launch into some long-winded description about their book. "It's about a boy, um, raised by wolves after his parents died, only his parents are actually living with a clan of bears, which is a problem because the humans, who live in a nearby village, have turned to their spirit gods to forever separate man and animal, and..." Bored yet? So are most people, even if they listen politely. Get to the point. Every manuscript can be described in one line, two at most.
  2. Written a three-line pitch for every book. If they’re intrigued after one line...
  3. Read interviews with some of the attendees. A few are on the SCBWI blog, a few in other places. Unlikely I’ll meet any of these people among the thousands in attendance, but you never know. One of my favorite PBS hosts (John Forde, Mental Engineering) sat at my table during a media luncheon. He was impressed that I knew who he was (and that I genuinely loved his show). We hung out for three days after that. Be ready.
  4. Memorized pictures of people I hope to meet. OK, this sounds creepy, but I want to know what they look like, not, “So that's what you look like. I should have been warned about that scar…” and I definitely don’t want to walk around looking at everybody’s chest trying to read their nametag. Turns out, that’s creepy, too. I blunt this one by saying "hope to meet." Otherwise it’s stalking (and editors and agents hate that).
  5. Figured out what I’m going to say to the people I have scheduled to meet. Work ahead. If you can meet someone, do it. What has an editor worked on? Who does an agent represent? Read something of theirs. Even a snippet is better than nothing. But know what you’re going to say when you get there. Like the one-line pitch…
  6. Made two copies of my hotel and conference registrations. I will lose one. I promise.
  7. Cleaned out my portfolio. It gets messy in there. Taking only what I need. A few stories, a pen, paper, and business cards that are easy to pull out. Be quick. Like the one-line pitch.
  8. Found my extracurricular activity. I always make plans to do one outside – yet writing-related – activity. In this case, visiting Scholastic’s bookstore. It’s legendary. Perhaps the best children’s bookstore in the country. It’s like Mecca for me, only in SoHo . I want to experience it, see it, feel it. And maybe send good karma my way as they considering two of my manuscripts. OK, I don’t believe in karma, but rather hard work and diligence, but like throwing salt over your shoulder, it can’t hurt.
Well, that’s some of what I do for every conference and some of what I’ve done specifically for this one. I’ve had good luck at conferences. I plan ahead but also keep no rigid schedule (except as need be). The subject of another post, I suppose. My credo at these events? Be loose yet diligent, fun yet practical, and be ready to talk with everyone. You don't have to always be "on" like a bad comic, but be prepared like a Boy Scout. Oh, and have the work to back up your words. Oral and written. Why pitch if you can't provide?
I’ve been to several small SCBWI conferences, but New York is huge. I hope the results are, too.
So, how do you prepare for a conference? Any tips? Any advice?

*originally published @ JohnBriggsBooks.com

No comments: