Friday, June 5, 2015

Works in Progress Update--Sandy Buxton

As a way to document some of the efforts of the Glens Falls Writers Group, Kay asked me to talk about my current works in progress. Traditionally, I have written small memoir pieces with a little fiction thrown in. But all have been relatively short and in need of more development (both character and story).

My current projects are ambitious by my standards.

First, the group is currently critiquing my Beginner’s Guide to Orchids. As a relatively new grower, I know it is presumptuous but I have also been the newsletter editor for our local orchid society for 5.5 years. That position has given me tremendous opportunities to interview and glean nuggets from experts from all over, both U.S. and abroad.

I hope to be able to shed some light on the mysteries of orchid growing and encourage people to successfully enjoy these wonderous plants.

The flow is one of the tough parts of this project. Everything is so intertwined – light, water, fertilizer, humidity and pests – I feel like I am repeating myself all the time. But some of that is necessary. We will see how it goes and what the group thinks.

My second project is a fiction piece – science fiction I guess. An adventure series showing some cool things about science in agriculture. Hopefully, it will be ready to review when the orchid book is complete.

No comments: