Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Don't Let Comments Drive You Nuts

To open with a cliche and probably end with one, too -- too many cooks spoil the broth. I have a picture book that has finally reached the point of being reviewed too many times, by me and others. That is to say, it has received so many rewrite suggestions that to accept them all would keep it from resembling in anyway the ms with which I started. I realized this while tearing apart yet one more scene to fit what is going on in the picture book world: as few words as possible, let the pictures tell the story. After reviewing my changes, I realized I no longer even liked the ms and couldn't stand to read it. I went back to basics and found a way to combine pictures with words that made the scene fresh for me, while combining what the industry wants and what the world seems to abhor and engender all the same -- kids who can't read. I am thoroughly convinced that Oscar Wilde could not sell a children's book today and Green Eggs & Ham would have been nothing more than Sam I Am shoving eggs in everyone's face without words to accompany his rude, if enthusiastic, behavior. Shel Silverstein would have been told to lighten up, and the Brothers Grimm told, "For once, guys, could you pleeeease give us a happy ending!"

To venture just a bit further off topic before returning like the prodigal son (cliche!), a picture book receiving rave reviews is The Wave by Suzy Lee. Just don't try to read it. The author submitted it with words; the editor took them all out when she realized the story could be told without any. She then, of course, continues to rave about Suzy Lee's ability as a writer. "You're great -- as long as you don't actually write anything!" I've even heard Lee referred to as author-illustrator. Um, except with The Wave, is she an author? It definitely tells a story, but could be flip-book or printed video game for all the words it contains.

There is a rule within the GFWG, and writing in general, that the final changes are up to the writer. Make of our critiques what you will. Choose among them, cherry picking good from bad, pulp from pit. That is only true until the author submits it to a publisher. Then so much, even that which is eventually run by the author for approval, is left up to editors and the editors' editor.

That said, back to my book. I think it's where I like it. Thank God for Marileta (Mara-leeta)Robinson, a recently retired sr. editor from Highlights magazine and an award-winning author who gave my ms one last look-see. Good to have friends with such experience in the business. The book is going out to Balzer+Bray tomorrow. I picked them with purpose. Okay, they have Mo Willems. Still, with any luck, in six months, I'll know something. Publishing moves at a rate where I think each book is made from a little acorn turned mighty oak. Which is what every authors hopes his book becomes...

And you wondered what cliche I'd find to end this ramble. Ha!
(Actually, so did I...)

1 comment:

Kay Hafner said...

John,

The library's bibliographic description (which I think comes from the Library of Congress) calls Wave "a wordless picture book." Very bizarre trend. Yes, a child could look at it alone. And develop a story of his own. Which is good. The question would be if, at these younger ages, does it really help develop the imagination any more to NOT have words? It sure doesn't help to make him a reader.

Also, yes, a parent could narrate her own story along with the pictures. That could be fun, as a parent, to vary the tale from time to time. But, again, it's not helping to make the child a reader.

Now that I think back, even the photo board books I read to Vicki when she was a baby had words.(First page: "Hi! I'm a baby." Last page: at the first birthday "I'm not a baby anymore.")

Thanks for bringing this up.