Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Interview With Zackary Richards, Part II

This is part two of my interview with novelist Zackary Richards...

What been your greatest reward as a writer? Fan letters from kids telling me how much they loved Frostie.

Greatest frustration? Receiving rejection letters that state the number of submissions they receive is so large they are unable to consider any new work at this time.

Which of your works are you most excited about? Right now I’m really excited about the Noon series. Even though I’m halfway into the second book, I have several ideas for the third and a spin off featuring a gunslinger in Greenwich Village.

Are you shopping your work to agents, small publishers, big houses? I’m contacting anybody willing to look at it. Unfortunately, the market is saturated and getting noticed is harder than ever.

Any advice to those who have trouble sitting down to write? Writing a book is like eating an elephant. At first it appears impossible yet, if you eat a bit of it each day, every day, it eventually gets done.

What has been the biggest benefit of joining the GFWG? The honest and fair critiques I received over the years from its members, Kay Hafner’s steady leadership and John Briggs' udicious editing which has greatly helped me improve my craft.


Zackary Richards is the author of the young adult novel Frostie the Deadman (Amazon; Barnes & Noble) Born in the Bronx, he started writing at age 10, discovered the guitar at 14, and became a professional musician in the vibrant Greenwich Village scene of the 1970s.He is currently shopping the YA novel Half Moon Falls and the adult science fiction work Noon. He lives in Lake George. Visit him at ZackaryRichards.com.

No comments: